Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vacation to D.C.

I took off a week of work to visit my wonderful friend and Washington D.C. It was so good to see here and to see a new city... not as a 9 year old. We took a stroll through Old Town Alexandria to the Potomac River.

We ate AMAZING burgers at The Burger Joint. I got the Lamb burger that is a (dare I say?) better version of a gyro. Mmm good! To top it off, we shared the most delicious sweet potato fries I've ever had. Needless to say, I enjoyed that eatery very much.

We toured the great capitol of our country on bikes that we rented for only $5 for the entire day! We road to the Lincoln Memorial...

...went through the Holocaust Memorial Museum. Very moving, heavy stuff.

And jumped for joy at the Washington Monument.

We also saw the White House, the Smithsonian Museums (but didn't have time to go through them), and the Agricultural Building that has corn lining the sidewalk. Bike riding is a great way to see the sites and get a good work out without killing your feet.

After a day in the city, our next day was spent in the country (so to speak). We drove along the lovely Potomac River to Mt. Vernon, the beautiful estate of George Washington. Yup, that's him.

Due to renovations, the front was block by scaffolding. Lame. Luckily there was a miniature scale model inside so I got a picture of it. It was so cute! I love little buildings!!!


Other events in my wonderful week with my wonderful friend included splitting a tasty salmon for lunch at Whole Foods, shopping at Target (where I purchased light wash jeans and peachy nail polish), and taking siestas every day. Siestas = favorite thing ever. That and having air conditioning. Such a luxury! All of you back home better be grateful for it. Or else!

Now I'm back in the great city of New York. I could literally feel the change in me as I stepped off the bus. It was probably my blood pressure rising...

3 comments:

Elise said...

still jealous of your Very Fun Times. and still scheming of ways around ludicrous airfare prices. i miss my friend alexis!

meghan elizabeth said...

Hey! I love DC! That Holocaust museum is so good. I'm glad you got to go see it.

Can Can said...

you look beautiful, lex! esp. in front of the lincoln memorial. you are one hot ny mama!