Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Friday! Friday!

Work has been pretty busy and tiring so I haven't done much this week, excluding Friday. Holy cow that day was crazy awesome. My friends and I decided to go to New Jersey and on our way we had a pretty great view of the Empire State Building.

We took the Path (aka the train to New Jersey) and felt really smart figuring it out all by ourselves. We had a great view of the Manhattan skyline from across the Hudson.

The real reason why we went to Jersey was for the bakery on Cake Boss! Wow that place has gorgeous cakes. We didn't actually go inside because the line stretched down the street for two blocks. But I got a picture!

For lunch, we found this tasty Malaysian place (shout out to Shenli!) and I got curry soup, coconut rice, and some sort of chicken goodness. Mmmm good!

We took the Path back to the World Trade Center Memorial that is under construction. You couldn't see too much of it. I can't imagine just how chaotic and terrifying 9/11 would have been there...

We visited Trinity Church and I got my picture taken in place of Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill in its museum.

Since we were in the area, we checked out the New York Stock Exchange building and went all the way to the tip of the island. But it started pouring so we decided to run down in the subway to catch a trail up to SoHo. But that plan didn't work out because it was still pouring when we got there. Change of plans #3: Dylan's Candy Bar, a three-story candy store (heaven on earth) with all sorts of goodies. On the top floor they have a little restaurant of sorts. You can order a Nutty Fluffy Jammy (aka a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with marshmallow fluff) and we just had to try one! And they were so tasty! I brought home a little menu so I can try some of the combinations.

Going to the candy shop was perfect because it meant that when we got to Serendipity 3, we hardly had to wait. That was a miracle because it's usually takes two hours to get in. Serendipity 3, in case you didn't know, is a pretty famous restaurant known for its frozen hot chocolate (there's a movie about it with John Cusak). Here I am with my own frozen hot chocolate. It was huge and so good!

On our way home, we strolled through the Central Park (to walk of the exorbitant amount of food we consumed that day). I saw Strawberry Fields. Its a little portion of the park with a memorial for John Lennon (from the Beatles). So for the rest of the way home I was humming, “Strawberry fields forever…” A great ending to a great day!

3 comments:

Corinne Chidester said...

What an AWESOME day! I'm so glad you are having great experiences and memories while you are there! xo

Elise said...

oh dang. every time you post on here i get obsessed. it looks like you are having SO MUCH FUN and i am so happy for you! also jealous, especially about the strawberry fields memorial. and, you know, everything else.

Ethan said...

I nne to call you! I love seeing about your NYC life. I miss you.