Sunday, June 5, 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Last night, my roommates and I decided to do a little reenactment of the opening scene of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" so this morning before church we took a quick trip down to the iconic store.
It totally looks like it right? :)

Tiffany's was closed (since it was Sunday) and did not have that peaceful, early morning vibe like in the movie. Actually there was an Israeli festival going on which was pretty interesting. All of the streets were blockaded so it was super hard to get around. Basically I was just running after Emily and Jen, following them like a lost puppy.

We made it to church (which is in the same building that the Manhattan Temple is in) right next to Lincoln Center. The people I've met so far in the ward are really friendly and nice.

I just can't get over the set up of the place. It's the temple and the chapel in the same building! But separated by different floors. Going to church today was wonderful. In a place that's so overwhelming and different than anything I've ever experienced, it is so comforting to know that going to church is the same. The same format with the same doctrine and the same spirit. That's something I love about being a Latter-day Saint.

After church we got together with some friends from the ward to make dinner all together. Remember the picture of our teeny tiny kitchen? Emily and I cooked chicken alfredo in that. Something was on each of the four tiny burners, inside the tiny oven, and covering the two feet of counter space. Everyone was happy so they must have liked it!

All of us went to this fireside about loving your neighbor, a discussion about the LDS and Jewish religions. A rabbi and a public relations rep for the church spoke and then had a Q and A afterward. It was very insightful. After the fireside, we went to an apartment of some friends in the ward for dessert. I made oreo truffle balls that turned out really well (but I just remembered that I forgot the plate at their house).

The idea of starting work tomorrow is finally sinking in and freaking me out a bit. But I talked through how to get there on the subway at least five times with my roommate (and probably three times with my other roommate) so I feel pretty good about it. I've picked out my outfit too and just need to pack my purse. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm loving these day-by-day-in-NYC posts!

Eliza Grant said...

This is all so great! I love your brick wall, your lebanese festival and your breakfast at tiffany's! Love love love!

Anziano Cannariato said...

Great posts on your very eventful first few days in the city. Good luck at your first day of work. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Elise said...

oh my gosh. i love everything. you had breakfast at tiffany's. hope your first day of work was AMAZING.

Jenny James said...

That was a blast! I miss you and our fun times in NYC!!! How is the internship going now? Oh and I love your blog! You should follow mine too! Its jjlikesmj@blogspot.com! Then we can keep in touch :) Hope you are doing well!