Monday, May 9, 2011

Guernsey

I am in love with the book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I have just read it twice, immediately starting over after finishing it. For the second or third time. My friend who visited recently said that the last time she visited, I was reading it. I guess I must really like it.

In the book, you get to know the characters through the letters that they write each another about books, authors, and the Occupation of the England and the Channel Islands during World War II. It's historical, sad, humorous, and subtly romantic--a story of people who endured a horrible time with their literary society and with each other.

Besides all of the above, I love it because I want to be there. Maybe I'll create a (dream) travel itinerary from Guernsey's official website. But for now I'm going to look at these great old photos of the island and resist the urge to read the book again.

2 comments:

Elise said...

a) i feel like i definitely need to read this book b) that old UK pictures website is the BEST c) i miss thee.

Sierra Robinson said...

I read this book last summer and I too loved it with my whole heart and soul.