Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Samantha Ray Project



The final project for my first space planning class was to design a one bedroom apartment for the young fashion designer: Samantha Ray. Research about the French Rococo time period as well as extensive ideation was required to come up with the final design. I developed a design statement including the client's goals, my goals, and the combination of the two as the final product. Approximately half of the time spent on this project (totaling over 100 hours) was drafting the floor plan. Included in the requirements was an elevation of the closet for hanging and folded storage, drawers, shoe storage, and hooks for the client's scarf collection. I also had to specify the furniture and furnishings for the entire apartment, which reflected my design concept of juxtaposing the French Rococo style with modern furnishings such as the Louis Ghost Chair.
Colored renderings were also required of the bedroom and closet. Finally, all of these elements were combined in the client's binder used in the presentation. Two display boards, one of the living and dining rooms with the other of the bedroom and bath, were also used in the presentation.
This time consuming project was a great learning experience. I incorporated all of the knowledge I had acquired throughout this class into it. Overall, it taught me how to manage my time. With so many requirements I had to plan out and accomplish daily goals to finish this project in three weeks. While that may seem like a long time, it was surprisingly short. Time flies when you've got a deadline.

5 comments:

Ethan said...

You're amazing, Lex!

Dawn said...

You're fabulous! How talented!

Anonymous said...

Wow. all i have to say is wow. and, can we work on a design for a house together? you're amazing.

emily gillrie said...

It turned out so well, I am sorry I never got to say goodbye to you.

Anziano Cannariato said...

Very nice work. And I know that I can't even begin to comprehend all the WORK that went into this. Congratulations!