Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My first cross stitch

Lately I've been getting my craft on with cross stitching.  This was my very first project which I think was a success.
It's a wedding gift for my sister and her fiance...when they get married in December.  I got the idea for doing little people from Martha Stewart.  I literally squealed with delight when I saw them!

You can print off different patterns and they're really easy to follow.  I tried to replicate my sister's dress and I added extra details like a skinny tie and matching eye colors.  There you have it--a lovely husband and wife.

The text idea came from the Etsy shop wee little stitches.  It is AMAZING.  Thanks to all their awesome ideas, I have a huge list of new cross stitch projects.

Awww, look at their happy faces under the sparkly snowflakes!  I just made up the snowflakes but there are plenty of patterns for more detailed, realistic ones too.  July may be a little early for snow though...

You can cross stitch too!  Just look up videos and get supplies from your local craft store ( I love Hobby Lobby).  I watched too many videos to post, but they're easy enough to find.  There are lots of free patterns online, which I would strongly suggest following.  At least at first.

Some helpful hints:
  • When using embroidery floss, I liked three strands.  It was enough without being too thick. Once you divided it, you had two strands of three.  It was nice. 
  • Try to keep the back as neat as possible. I didn't really do that and bits of other thread would poke through.  It got annoying. So stay tidy!
  • Keep all of your stitches the same, meaning cross the x the same direction for EVERYTHING.  Being a beginner I didn't think about it at first...

4 comments:

Elise said...

Alexis! It looks FANTASTIC. So cute. This guy=impressed.

Unknown said...

You're a guy?

Unknown said...

You're too cute Lexi...

Eliza Grant said...

This is DARLING! I love it!