Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Four-day weekend of the 4th

I did a lot this weekend with an extra day for fun.

I had margarita pizza from Lombardi's, New York's best pizzeria, though I like John's Pizzeria better--they pile on the basil!

I went to the Cloisters and explored architecture and artifacts from medieval times. It was pretty interesting but I especially loved the surrounding area that it was set it. There were were gardens, lots of trees, and parks. Being in the city, I forget how nice green, living things are!

On the 4th, some friends and I went to Coney Island to witness the hot dog eating contest world championships. I made sure to eat my hot dog from Nathan's (it's been around for almost 100 years!) before it started because afterward I never wanted to see a hot dog again.

I saw the carny (as in carnival) rides but I didn't want to take the chance to actually go on one. Plus the face above the entrance kind of creeped me out.

The beach was packed! I mean, look at all those umbrellas. Just don't look too close because there are probably people in swimsuits that they shouldn't be in. I warned you... Overall, Coney Island is a place you need to see when you're in New York because you're in New York. But once you've seen it, you don't need to go back.

Probably my favorite part about the weekend was going to Little Italy and Chinatown. Even though those places are pretty touristy, they have this charm that is unique to each place. I bought a little cell phone charm from a nice lady in Chinatown and I need to go back and eat some pasta at one of the many Italian restaurants that line Mulberry street.

Happy 4th of July everyone! I hope you had a great one!

1 comment:

Ethan said...

How fun, Lex! Where did you watch fireworks? We missed you for our 4th party, but we passed around the FLU!!!, so I'm glad you weren't here to catch it. I miss you.