Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Masonic Hall Project


inspiration from Vicente Wolf

An historic building in downtown Boise, Idaho was to be part design studio part residence. The client, our professor, was interviewed to get an idea of his wants, needs, and taste. We were to draft out plans for the use of space throughout the three floors.

My inspiration for the project was largely based on the designs of Vincente Wolf. By using a neutral color palette and natural materials, the client’s own pieces were able to stand out.

This project came together for me surprisingly fast. Instead of making multiple to do lists over and over, I just chose one part I needed to do and got it done.

My favorite parts were designing the kitchen and the bedroom for the two sons. For the kitchen, I went with a contemporary look with glossy, white cabinets and black countertops. Platinum-leafed glass tiles for the backsplash enhanced the luxury of the space along.

In the boys room, the client wanted a space theme. I chose red and gold, inspired by the sun, and contrasted that with silvery lunar colors. The result answered the desire for a space theme while keeping the space consistent with the rest of the residence.

No comments: