Wednesday, December 29, 2010

JJ Lounge Project

For this assignment in my 3D modeling class, I had two clients looking for design ideas for a lounge. The target group was college students in the Rexburg area looking for a cool place to hang out and meet new people. The class was divided into groups, and my group was assigned to design the entry area in a “New York” style.

Our inspiration came from the coffee shop in the TV show Friends, with the brick building façade and casual, hang out vibe. We chose industrial materials such as steel and concrete, along with brick and glass to create the “New York” look. By keeping it casual, this space translated easily into the lifestyles of college students in Rexburg, Idaho.

Our main design goal involved flow and functionality. The curved glass wall not only directs the flow of traffic to the box office area, but also provides a visual of what is going on inside. Because Rexburg has cold temperature during much of the year, we wanted the area to accommodate people waiting to meet up with friends before entering the lounge along with having plenty of coat storage.

My two group members worked mostly on building the model while I rendered the perspective. Working in a group provided an opportunity for me to get beyond my ideas and reconsider my design habits. Our strengths balanced out our weaknesses, and together we create a space that was inviting and functional.

No comments: